Unity in the Spirit #4 - A Real Exorcism


Before January 30, 2004:
When I was in grade school, all my reading and writing skills were below par. The highest score I ever achieved was a B in English and only because I did a lot of extra credit work that used grammatical formulas. I never liked reading because I was made fun of by other students. Teachers, on occasion, publicly laughed at my reading failures. My reading was always slow and so was my comprehension. 

My writing skills were no better. It was so bad that I had to take remedial writing classes before I was allowed to enter community college, but every class requiring writing produced the same struggle until I just simply gave up on college altogether.

It was during my college struggles that I was diagnosed with a form of dyslexia that inserted incorrect words into my brain that caused the material to become confusing when I read or when I wrote. For example: I would read "hat" and the actual printed word was "cat" or I would write "hat" when what I was thinking at the time was "hot."

As a very young and hungry believer in Christ Jesus, I would spend hours literally attempting to understand the same paragraph that I read over and over. There were times when I would tearfully beg Harley to explain what I had just spent hours on and could not even remember the words that were on the page let alone what they meant. It was literally as if there was complete instant memory lapse the moment after reading. 

The really weird thing about this problem was that it did not occur 100% of the time but it was worse for Bible reading than secular reading. This condition I've just explained is perfectly described by Jesus in this passage:
When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is the one on whom seed was sown beside the road. Matthew 13:19 (NASB)

Friday, January 30, 2004:
On this evening, I attended an Encountering God service held at the International House of Prayer in Kansas City, MO. It was the very first EGS I attended after arriving to take the "Intro to IHOP" internship. I sat up front in about the third or fourth row back. My seat was located next to an isle on my right. After a full hour of worship, the speaker got up and the first words out of his mouth were, "God wants to do something powerful in someone here tonight."

The instant I heard the word "tonight" I fell flat on the floor in the isle screaming my head off. There was no fighting what was happening. I was completely stiff as if dead except for the screaming. People rushed all around me, but I heard the sound of a man's voice that rang so loud and clear, "Don't touch her yet. Get back!" The crowd parted as he rushed to my side and told me to look at him. I wobbled my head which felt drunk-like towards him and looked. He looked into my eyes.

He simply laid his hand on my head and prayed. He did not verbally attack or rebuke the demon. He just prayed in agreement with Kevin Matthews' expression of God's desires. The physical sensation I felt was that of pure evil departing through my screaming mouth as he prayed. There was no mistaking that physical experience. There was absolutely no question it was pure evil.

After he prayed, I heard him command the people around me to get me some water. I began drinking water so fast that the people could not keep up with supplying the water. They even began to make sounds of marveling at the quantity of water that I was consuming and at the speed at which even ice cold water was going down. I too was marveling but too thirsty to be able to communicate anything except with my drunk-like hands.

At the end of this EGS service, I approached Kevin Matthews who was also one of my instructors in the Intro to IHOP internship. I asked Kevin, "Why do teachers say that if we are saved we cannot have demons dwell inside us because the Holy Spirit dwells inside of us?" Kevin said, "Who cares as long as people are delivered of the demons."

People (IHOPKC) who spent time ministering to God by praying and fasting for the incoming interns had their prayers fulfilled that day. Then, a chosen person for the moment, Kevin, got out of God's way and did what Kevin heard God say to do. The very same thing Jesus did here on earth.


The Rest of the Internship:
During the Intro to IHOP courses that followed, I had several new spiritual encounters with God, Jesus and His Holy Spirit. Some I've briefly listed in a previous blog post. One I will share in detail here.

I was in line at the front of the prayer room to pray at the microphone. Terrified of speaking in public and determined to overcome my terror I prayed fervently as if my life depended on it while I waited. I begged God to fill me with only His words so that I would not lead others astray with false teachings as I had been lead astray.

My turn to pray came so I took the microphone and focused on the worship leader.  I was still too terrified to look at the audience and too terrified to make a mistake by starting too soon. My Bible was open to Colossians 1:9 which I had prepared for the microphone prayer. Then, the worship leader nodded the signal instructing me to begin prayer. I read the passage then shifting my gaze from the Bible to where the worship leader sat. I took a deep breath.

Instantly, standing in front me was Jesus fully arrayed with a white unstained robe, golden sash and clean feet. His hair was black as raven's feathers and curly. He stood right in front of me no further away than the length of a sword. His eyes were ablaze with red and orange flames of fire. Out of His smile came a double edge sword which pierced straight through my inhaling open mouth. The sword went all the through my mouth and out the back of my head (through my stiff neck :).

I fell flat on the floor again just like a timber of wood falls flat. The microphone was still in my hand gripped tightly. I was as stiff as a board. The next thing I was aware of was Julie fighting to pull the microphone out of my hand. I remember being angry that Julie would dare to take away what God had given me until I realized it was just a microphone. I had no clue how long I had laid there until another gentleman in line that day came up to me later and told me that I was out flat frozen for at least five minutes.


After Returning Home from the Internship:
Through the months and years that followed the internship, I had a fierce hunger for God's words in the same way that I thirst for the water after the exorcism. What I did not realize until after returning home was that hunger was being met with understanding of God's words. My dyslexia was completely gone. Even today when I type wrong words it is not the same as before. Now, I see wrong words as wrong words. The only time those wrong words appear is when I've changed my train of thought in the middle of typing a word.


WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT THIS?:

A lot! in fact, too much to include in this article. So, I will focus only upon recognizing where God's authority to cast out demons comes from. God's authority is delegated to His servants through the spoken word OF GOD as illustrated by the centurion in Matthew 8:8. So, why does it work for Jesus and not for anyone and every one at every attempt?

We are told:
But what does it say? "THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, Romans 10:8 (NASB)
You brood of vipers, how can you, being evil, speak what is good? For the mouth speaks out of that which fills the heart. Matthew 12:34 (NASB)

But the things that proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and those defile the man. Matthew 15:18 (NASB)

The good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speaks from that which fills his heart. Luke 6:45 (NASB)

So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. Matthew 7:17-19 (NASB) 

Either make the tree good and its fruit good, or make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for the tree is known by its fruit. Matthew 12:33 (NASB)
Now, take a look at how an "oak or righteousness" is made.
Your word I have treasured in my heart, That I may not sin against You. Psalm 119:11 (NASB)
Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Psalm 51:10 (NASB)

Through repentance and prayer a tree is made good. Did I repent and pray to be delivered? I had repented of lots of stuff prior to the exorcism, but never has any demon come out of me for doing so. I did not even know I needed to be delivered let alone what I did to cause a demon to dwell in me in the first place.

But, others believed in Jesus on my behalf:
Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. James 5:16 (NASB)
They did not know I, in particular, needed to be set free. In fact, their belief was in Jesus so much so that their actions demonstrated that belief when they set aside the things of the world to develop a LIFESTYLE of prayer and fasting. 
 
This LIFESTYLE preparation happened long before I showed up needing to be delivered. They did not even know God wanted to do a mighty work of power that night until God said so that night, but, they came to the EGS service expecting and hoping.

The people who were used that night where the ones who had proven themselves trustworthy to obey God's commands in the past while patiently waiting upon God i.e. ministering to God in the secret place. They had their senses trained:
The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things, and the God of peace will be with you. Philippians 4:9 (NASB)
But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil. Hebrews 5:14 (NASB)
A lifestyle of prayer and fasting is not a five minute prayer tacked on the end of a fellowship meeting as an after thought that we "should" pray. A lifestyle of prayer and fasting is what a kingdom of priests is called to engage in, Exodus 28, without ceasing. It is in this lifestyle that God's people obtain their inheritance in Christ because that is when Jesus actually shows up, Matthew 18:20. The result is God's favor on our lives.
Now He was telling them a parable to show that at all times they ought to pray and not to lose heart, Luke 18:1 (NASB)
God's authority to overcome the demonic powers is shared with man through the word of God made flesh, and through the spoken words of God:
And they overcame him [Satan] because of the blood of the Lamb and because of the word of their testimony, and they did not love their life even when faced with death. Revelation 12:11 (NASB)
Then he said to me, "This is the word of the LORD to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit [God's words of truth],' says the LORD of hosts. Zechariah 4:6 (NASB)
Just as Moses traveled up the steep pathway to spend 40 days and 40 nights with God so too God invites you to join Him in the secret place lifestyle:
O my dove, in the clefts of the rock, In the secret place of the steep pathway, Let me see your form, Let me hear your voice; For your voice is sweet, And your form is lovely." Song of Songs 2:14 (NASB)
In fact, Jesus commanded it!
But you, when you pray, go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you. Matthew 6:6 (NASB)
But, the fact still remains that demons don't recognize God's spoken words from people who are not unified with God, who are not IN Christ.
And the evil spirit answered and said to them, "I recognize Jesus, and I know about Paul, but who are you?" Acts 19:15 (NASB)
Before January 30, 2004, I believed what I was taught by other humans whom I considered trustworthy. I was taught that just because I was saved I was therefore IN Christ 100% of the time. This just isn't true, consider:
For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins, Hebrews 10:26 (NASB)
He who eats My flesh and drinks My blood abides in Me, and I in him. John 6:56 (NASB)
We have to STOP SINNING! The eating and drinking of God's flesh and blood refers to the fellowship in Christ's sufferings of taking up our cross and following Him otherwise we are unworthy of Him.
Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it; but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it. For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul? Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in the glory of His Father with His angels, and WILL THEN REPAY EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS." Matthew 16:24-27 (NASB)
That is what communion or unity in Christ's sufferings is all about. Revelation 12:11 is a reiteration of this very idea of fellowship in Christ's sufferings.

People I trusted taught me that if we are saved we are therefore filled with God's Holy Spirit and therefore demons cannot dwell inside of us. I did not compare their teachings with what was written in the Bible. I just chose to believe them because it sounded good.

What is actually found in the book of Acts is a lot of instances where the disciples required the laying on of hands to baptize a believer with the Holy Spirit and Fire. The disciples were insistent upon this. Yet, today, we think that just because we are saved we therefore have the fullest indwelling of the Holy Spirit possible and there is no need to seek further baptisms.

Yet, the Bible says there are three baptisms available to the believer in Jesus: the baptism of John or water; the baptism of spirit or words of truth; and the baptism of fire, or of passionate love [zeal for the Father's house] for Christ. Power was only granted through the latter two and not the baptism of water. 
but you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and even to the remotest part of the earth." Acts 1:8 (NASB)
Yes, there are instances where Jesus laid hands on the disciples prior to the cross and then sent them out to heal the sick. But, remember they did not retain that power. It faded over time (see previous Unity in the Spirit articles). It faded just like Moses' shining face was a fading glory because the cross had not happened yet and they had only been baptized in John's water baptism. Everyone was still under the old covenant because the cross had not yet happened.

Once the cross happened, Jesus was able to share HIS Holy Spirit with everyone because He poured it out or gave it up with a loud cry. That pouring makes the baptism of the Holy Spirit possible.
I have come to cast fire upon the earth; and how I wish it were already kindled! But I have a baptism to undergo, and how distressed I am until it is accomplished! Luke 12:49-50 (NASB) 

But I tell you the truth, it is to your advantage that I go away; for if I do not go away, the Helper will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And He, when He comes, will convict the world concerning sin and righteousness and judgment; John 16:7-8 (NASB)
John's baptism of water was for the purpose of revealing the messiah to the people, John 1:31. It was also for the purpose of pronouncing people clean of the sins so they could see their messiah, Luke 3:7. But, it is the baptism of the Holy Spirit that actually is the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and the new covenant. The baptism of fire is altogether different. It is a supernatural love or zeal for the Father's house (a topic for another article).

This does not mean that people who have not been baptized by the Holy Spirit cannot or do not walk with God. Quite the contrary. This is proven by examples in the book of Acts of people who did not have the baptism of the Holy Spirit yet still produce the faith of obedience in Christ. This is because it is the baptism of John that opens people's eyes to see their messiah, John 1:31, and begins their walk with Christ. Think of it like this. The baptism of the Holy Spirit and Fire is a HUGE upgrade beyond our wildest imaginations.

I know that what I've written here may be hard to accept because of what you've been taught. But, you are in good company. The original 70 disciples had their beliefs challenged by Jesus in John 6. However, 58 of them actually dumped Jesus because of it. I too had my world of beliefs shaken on January 30, 2004. So, I invite you to not take my word for it. Seek God for yourself through prayer and fasting. If you want me to lay hands on you a pray for you (another topic for another article) to receive the baptism of the Spirit of truth, ask me to do so in church.

We can brag about ourselves and all the wonderful promises we have in Christ all we want but when push comes to shove. God is not currently testifying with His signs and wonders in agreement with the church in America and that means demons are not routinely cast out of people. So, don't believe everything you are taught, hear in a song, or watch on visual media. Pray. Ask God to reveal Himself in His words, the Holy Bible. Climb the steep pathway up the mountain to your own secret place with God. Taste and see for yourself with a little added fasting from time to time.
 
Copyright (c) 2015 by Diane Pebley All rights reserved, no use granted without the express written permission of the author, Diane Pebley

Comments