Down Syndrome

It was about 17 years ago. Harley and I had just recently started attending a CMA church in Draper. The call went out for volunteers to paint cartoon characters on the walls of the nursery and the children's church rooms. A lady named Tracy, who attended another church, graciously volunteered to lead our volunteers in the painting process. When we arrived, Tracy was almost finished drawing the figures on the walls using a projector and pictures in copyright protected books. We were told by the Pastor's wife, Vanessa, to follow Tracy's instructions. "Simple enough," I thought not having any cartooning experience. Tracy told us to choose whatever color we wanted and just start filling in the drawings, but, if we put too much paint on our pallet, we were to find someplace else to put it before it dried on the pallet and was wasted.

Along about the time when one room had just about all the colors it needed and all the other women had moved on to the next room, I found myself with too much yellow on my pallet and thought that I would try my hand at adding highlights to some trees another woman, Jennifer, had painted all the same color. Needless to say as the day went on, Jen saw my highlights and chewed me out royally for messing up HER trees. I didn't think the trees looked bad just different. The trees certainly did not look out of character with the rest of the cartoon scene. After all, it was a cartoon, not a Rembrandt. 

Well the other women Julie, Vanessa, and Jen began to exclude me from their discussions, and yes, I heard them talking behind my back even though they were in the other room. The walls and empty rooms carried sound quite well. It wasn't very easy to hear but what do you do? Get angry? The Bible tells us to be slow to take offense. Do you go out and tattle-tell which is gossip and condemnation without a hearing? I had already had a long history of being blamed and knew there were three against one at this painting party... I don't have a history of people even wanting to hear my side of events let alone believing me when I tell them.  Helpless, I just kept painting as an attempted to hide my hurt. 

This is not a sob story to play on your sympathy so please do not go there. I just don't know any other way to help people see how their actions affect others. It is not right when church leadership attacks folks as combative, unloving, and insensitive simply for reminding others what is written in the Bible they are suppose to hold dear to their hearts. So, you see, I don't really have any other choice but to tell you about the actual circumstances and my responses or thoughts through them.

As the day progressed, it came time to address drawing the faces on the cartoon characters. When the question came up as to who would do it, Tracy told us that if we wanted to give it a try we were free to do so. Ok, cool, I thought I would give it a try on the one child that I had been working on so that I did not get scolded again for ruining the efforts of others. I had learned that lesson rather quickly.

The very first face I had painted free-hand was not at all like what Tracy, the pro, was capable of producing. But, I liked it. It reminded me of a child with Down Syndrome. So, I was content. After all, Jesus loves all the little children and this particular wall was filled with children running after a smiling Jesus. 

Well, the other room with Noah's ark wasn't finished yet so I headed back into it to help. Upon arriving the other woman cleared out an went into the Jesus room again. It happened almost instantly and multiple times upon entering a room where they were. While in Noah's room, I again heard them talking in the other room about the face I had drawn. It was very clear they did not like it and commissioned Tracy to redo it. Eventually, I went back into the Jesus room where Tracy and I were alone and I casually said, "Well, it looks like no one liked the face I drew." Tracy responded, "Oh no, I just needed to fix it." That's when I walked out because I could see with my own two eyes that the face was not "fixed." It was completely wiped off leaving a bunch of paint smears. 

Tracy had lied to me and I knew it because I had heard what was discussed before I even went into the room. I wasn't angry that she lied to me but I was aware that the Bible commands us to speak in private with a sinner caught in sin. So, I went and found Vanessa and told her what happened in order to ask Vanessa for permission to confront Tracy on the lie. Tracy was Vanessa's friend so I thought it only polite to consider Vanessa first. Well my conversation with Vanessa did not go well and Julie eventually chimed in just as Harley arrived to take me home. Basically, the conversation was about my attempt to confront in obedience with scripture and their human justifications for why I should disobey the scriptures. I was falsely accused of being angry with Tracy when in actuality I was angry with Julie and Vanessa for all the lame excuses they made.  Eventually, I dropped it and just went home. 

I've written about this event for one reason and one reason alone. Here it is. A couple weeks later, a young family visited our church for the very first time. At the end of the service, I went up to the mom who was in the process of collecting her young child from children's church. The child was in tears and completely distraught and said to her mom, "Jesus loves all the children but me." I could not believe my eyes and ears. The child had Down Syndrome and she pointed to the wall with all the perfect cartoon children following Jesus. I never saw that family again.

I cannot help but wander if church planters are so fixated on making the perfect church experience for visitors that they loose sight of their own form of legalism which is justified as "identifying" with the _______fill in the blank______. And perhaps... just perhaps....God is not so much concerned with the "sacrifices" we make to serve as much as He is with the lack of obedience that yields those worthless sacrifices.



Copyright (c) 2014 by Diane Pebley All rights reserved, no use granted without the express written permission of the author, Diane Pebley

Comments

  1. Diane - Your story brought back a situation that I had too, and left a sour taste in my mouth. Our church would put on a play/musical once or twice a year and notice would go out for try outs. As you know I do not sing nor act; however, I thought that in order to get to know more of the ladies at church I could contribute my sewing abilities to the upcoming event that had just been announced. When I asked our Relief Society President about try outs, I was told that time was short and that they just called previous participants to fill the cast positions. I said that that wasn't fair to others who wanted to try something new and participate. I also mentioned to our Bishop that I didn't think it was fair that others weren't given an opportunity to show their talents, and I was told that since I worked it would have been difficult for me to attend rehearsals. I did politely let him know that since I wasn't given the opportunity to try out we will never know if rehearsal times would have conflicted with my work schedule. I learned very quickly that no matter where you go there will always be cliques (they are not just reserved for high school), and if you want to be part of that clique you need to evaluate the ethics of that clique, if your ethics are the same as theirs, then do your best to fit in. If your ethics are different, do you really want to stoop to their level. I think you did what you felt was right to do. You were prompted to draw the face that you did, and that others there couldn't see the beauty in your painting. Too bad the ladies that wanted 'perfection' wasn't there to over hear the child's comments. These rooms were for the children's use. Children need to know that God made people in all shapes, sizes, and with different looks. Everyone is beautiful in God's eyes, its sad that others can only see the surface. I have always known you to communicate in such a way that is appropriate for the situation and for how you are feeling. Mahalo for sharing your experience with us. Please know that you are very much loved here in Sunny Arizona. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh my dear Arizona Kindred Spirit, I am indeed sorry for the cliquish trials you've had to endure. However, I can see both sides the try-outs that you've shared with us. When I feel stressed and pressured to complete a task within a certain amount of time, I tend towards the shortcuts that appear fast and easy. I hope it will comfort you to know that it may be less painful to choose to believe that such stress and pressure was at the root cause of your Relief Society's decisions. Even if this chosen belief is false in reality, you will gain the peace of having looked evil in the eye and chosen to repay it with good. Such a godly attribute will shine in time with practice. I shall write another true story so that you can see what I mean. Look for this upcoming story called "Punched by a Boxer."

      Delete

Post a Comment

Dear Reader,

Thank you so much for reading my blog. I hope very much that you were blessed by it.

Please post all comments and questions that arise from reading one of my articles in the comments section for that specific article. That way I will know which article has produced your concerns.

On the other hand, if you have general questions about what is in the Holy Bible and cannot find the answer in any of the articles in this blog, please click the tag "Specific Questions" and then ask your question in the comment section.

Your comments are greatly valued. That is why anyone can respond by posting comments or questions specifically related to the article. Comments won't appear immediately after they are published as they are moderated. This is to protect eyes and hearts as much as possible from spammers or otherwise ruthless folks who refuse to refrain from obscenity, nudity, and personal attacks. These actions will be banned on the first instance.

This is an epesodic blog as I refuse to monetize its content and therefore have other responsibilities that limit my posting schedule. Thank you for your understanding and patience.

May the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ richly bless all your endeavors and health.

In His service,
Diane